ASSET – A holistic and Scalable Solution for Research, Innovation and Education in Energy Transition
ASSET is a two-year European project that started in May 2019, funded under the EU Horizon 2020 program. The project aims at providing the tools for the creation and sharing of knowledge and skills for energy transition.
- Attract and engage the following actors in the ASSET community
- universities, research centres and training actors;
- university students and newly hired employees;
- companies in the energy sector;
- policy makers, authorities, public administrations and market regulators;
- societal actors and energy citizens
- Define a conceptual framework for fast and easy creation of new learning material and updating of existing programmes
- Foster interdisciplinary research, innovation and education
- Strengthen the collaborations between academia and industry
- Support trainers to cultivate new talents in the new generation of engineers
- Develop innovative programmes to educate students, trainers, employees, and citizens
ASSET Project Team and Activities
The ASSET project team includes universities, innovative companies, innovation facilitators, and one corporation in six European countries. The team members work together and contributing their expertise to:
- Expand the ASSET ecosystem and network
- Identify the skills needed for the energy transition and the societal challenges
- Prepare the learning material for the different energy transition programmes, including massive open online courses (MOOCs), short programmes, and seminars.
- Deliver and conduct the programmes
- Perform dissemination, communication and achieve sustainability of the ASSET Ecosystem
- Ensure the quality of the project outputs
The project will produce the following outputs:
- 25 novel short programmes in energy and interdisciplinary courses
- Bridging among actors in the energy sector including academia and trainers
- Inclusion of the research perspective of the social sciences and humanities in the energy transition
- Novel tools for 1) creating interdisciplinary courses and 2) fostering the re-use and replicability of materials.
- Broad outreach (>80 Companies, tens of universities, and other energy transition initiatives)
- Communication campaigns targeted to different groups including energy citizens
ACS contributes in all project activities. ACS is mainly responsible for producing the materials for the following programmes about smart and flexible energy systems:
- Multi-terminal DC Grids
- Challenges and Solutions in Future Power Networks
- Monitoring and Distributed Control for Power Systems
- Power Systems Dynamics
- Case study on istribution grid operation
ACS also plays leadership roles in the following project activities:
- Creation and delivery of materials for all programmes in the project.
- Creation and delivery of two programmes-on-demand prepared for companies in the ASSET ecosystem.
- Dissemination campaigns targeted towards universities and training actors.
Together with RWTH’s Human Technology Center (HumTec) and Institute for Gender and Diversity in Engineering (GDI), ACS also ensures the inclusion of social sciences and humanities (SSH) aspects in the preparation of the energy transition programmes in the project.
The project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Framework Programme for Research and Innovation under grant agreement no 837854.
Prof. Ponci has given a keynote speech about Monitoring of the new Power System at the "Fraunhofer Innovation and Networking Days" event in Bonn. "World Cafe" sessions provided a great opportunity for open discussion and networking. The topics covered in all talks and groups also show that in Learning and Education project ASSET is the way to go.
Prof. Ferdinanda Ponci and Wilbert Tarnate represented ACS in ASSET's kickoff meeting. ATOS, the project coordinator, hosted the meeting from May 27 to May 28, 2019, in Madrid, Spain. Around 30 participants from academic and industry partners from 6 European countries are present in the meeting. ASSET aims to establish a sustainable ecosystem for energy transition and education stakeholders. In ASSET, ACS will lead the preparation of learning contents for university programs and MOOCs.